Monday, October 6, 2008

I'm back!

I haven't written in forever because I was not sure the direction my blog should take. I have decided I really would like to focus on two things: books and art.

In art I have been spending most of my time working on the Suzi Blu workshop I have been taking. I am currently working on a 2x4 foot painting that is turning out to have something of a Beauty and the Beast theme. Its focus is on a girl and a lion, dressed in a suit holding hands. There is a fox, a cat and two rabbits all looking at them. They are, of course, dressed as well. They are all wearing dresses, except the fox, who is in overalls. It is already becoming really busy, so I need to keep the background somewhat less busy. I will post pictures when I get an opportunity.

In books, I just finished the American Wife, by Curtis Sittenfeld,which is a fictionalized account of the life of Laura Bush. I found it very well written and difficult to put down. I should add that I really enjoyed the first part of the book, but the last section that tells of her life after her husband became president was way too long and preachy. I ended up skimming most of that part. I was impressed by all the period details she incuded in the book, especially from the 60s and early 70s. Another thing I noticed is that the main character, Alice Blackwell, is supposed to be writing this as she looks back on her life as a way to explain why she ended up being first lady in a Republican administration when she had beliefs that were more in line with the democratic party. I believe if this was the case she would not have had so many long, detailed sex scenes. In some ways they just seemed out of place.

I am currently reading the 19th Wife, by David Eberstoff. It started off with a bang and I think I am going to really enjoy it.

Apparently, I am on a roll with family relationship titled books: In the last two weeks I have read, the Heretic's Daughter, American Wife and now 19th Wife!

No comments: